top of page
  • Writer's pictureMAZ

What is a P2 Tax Coding Notice?

Understanding the P2 Tax Coding Notice

In the UK, the P2 Tax Coding Notice is an essential document for taxpayers, serving as a communication from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about their tax code for the upcoming tax year. It plays a critical role in ensuring that the right amount of tax is deducted from your income through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system.

What is a P2 Tax Coding Notice

What is a P2 Tax Coding Notice?

A P2 notice, also known as a PAYE Coding Notice, outlines your tax code and explains the reasons behind its calculation. The tax code affects how much tax is deducted from your salary or pension income. Each year, or when changes occur in your financial situation, HMRC updates these codes to reflect your current tax allowances and any adjustments due to over or underpayment of tax from previous years.

Components of the P2 Notice

The notice includes details about your tax-free allowance and any additional allowances or deductions that have been applied. These could stem from a range of factors such as company benefits, pension contributions, or owing tax from earlier years. HMRC provides a breakdown of how these elements influence the calculation of your tax-free amount, ensuring transparency in how much tax you owe or will be refunded.

Why It Matters

Understanding your P2 notice is crucial because it directly influences your disposable income. If your tax code is incorrect, it could result in either overpaying tax and affecting your monthly budget or underpaying tax and facing a bill from HMRC later. The notice includes detailed explanations meant to help taxpayers verify the accuracy of their tax code and understand how their income tax is being calculated.

Checking and Updating Your Tax Code

It's important for individuals to check their tax code each year and after any significant changes in their income or personal circumstances. If you discover any discrepancies, it’s your responsibility to contact HMRC to correct the error. The P2 notice will also list the contact details and guidance on how to update your information if necessary.

Accessibility of the P2 Notice

Taxpayers can access their P2 Tax Coding Notice either through a paper copy sent by mail or digitally via HMRC's online portal or the HMRC app. This accessibility ensures that you can review your tax details conveniently and maintain accurate tax records.

How Your Tax Code is Calculated and Common Adjustments

The Calculation of Tax Codes

The tax code assigned to you by HMRC is not just a random string of letters and numbers; it represents a precise calculation based on your personal tax situation. The basic formula for determining your tax code starts with your tax-free personal allowance, which for the tax year 2024/25 is set at £12,570. This amount is then adjusted based on various factors such as benefits, other incomes, and unpaid taxes from previous years.

For instance, if you have unpaid tax of £47 from the previous year and you're taxed at the basic rate (20%), this unpaid tax is grossed up in your tax code. This means it's increased to reflect the gross amount that would result in £47 being paid after tax. This calculation results in a deduction from your tax-free allowance, thus increasing the amount of tax you pay in the current year to settle past dues.

Understanding Adjustments in Your Tax Code

Adjustments in your tax code can include:

  • Benefits in kind: Such as company cars or health insurance, which are added to your taxable income.

  • Other incomes: If you have other sources of income like rental income or savings interest, these can affect your tax code because they change your total taxable income.

  • Charitable contributions made through Gift Aid: These can increase your tax-free amount, as they are eligible for tax relief.

Each of these elements is factored into your tax code to ensure that the right amount of tax is collected over the course of the year.

Examples of Tax Code Letters and Their Meanings

  • L: You are entitled to the basic personal allowance.

  • BR: All your income from this source is taxed at the basic rate – commonly used for second jobs or pensions.

  • D0: All income from this source is taxed at the higher rate, applicable in cases where your earnings exceed the higher income threshold.

  • NT: No tax is collected from this income.

It's also crucial to understand emergency tax codes like 1257X, which are temporary and typically applied when HMRC does not have all the necessary information about your income.

Regular Updates and Changes to Tax Codes

Tax codes can change during the tax year due to adjustments in your income, changes in benefits, or corrections if previous tax codes were incorrect. Keeping your information current with HMRC, including notifying them of changes in your income or personal situation, is vital to ensuring your tax code is accurate.

Impact of Incorrect Tax Codes

An incorrect tax code can lead to either underpayment or overpayment of tax. Overpayments can affect your liquidity, while underpayments can lead to unexpected tax bills. Regularly checking your tax code against your personal circumstances and the latest tax regulations is crucial to avoid these issues.

Resolving Discrepancies and Managing Your Tax Affairs

Addressing Discrepancies in Your P2 Tax Coding Notice

When you receive your P2 Tax Coding Notice, it is paramount to review it carefully to ensure all information is accurate. Discrepancies in your tax code can arise from various sources, such as incorrect income details, overlooked benefits, or previous underpayments or overpayments of tax. If you spot an error, the responsibility lies with you to notify HMRC. This proactive approach prevents you from overpaying tax or facing a tax bill later due to underpayment.

How to Notify HMRC of Errors

To correct any mistakes in your tax code, you can contact HMRC directly through their helpline, via your Personal Tax Account (PTA) online, or through the HMRC mobile app. It is helpful to have all relevant documents at hand, such as your P2 notice, payslips, and details of any benefits you receive, to clarify and expedite the correction process.

Documentation and Records

Keeping accurate records is crucial for managing your tax affairs efficiently. This includes keeping copies of your P2 notices, payslips, and correspondence with HMRC. Good record-keeping helps you track changes in your tax code and provides essential documentation in case of disputes over your tax liabilities.

Tips for Effective Tax Code Management

  1. Regular Reviews: Regularly review your tax code, especially after any change in your income or personal circumstances that could affect your tax status.

  2. Stay Informed: Keep up to date with changes in tax legislation and personal allowance thresholds each year, as these can directly affect your tax code.

  3. Use Available Tools: Utilize tools such as the HMRC app and online PTA to monitor your tax code and access tax-related services conveniently.

Utilizing HMRC’s Interactive Guidance

HMRC offers interactive guidance and a host of digital tools to help taxpayers understand and manage their tax codes. These resources are designed to make it easier for you to check and update your information as needed, ensuring your tax code accurately reflects your current financial situation.

Understanding and managing your P2 Tax Coding Notice is vital for ensuring you are taxed correctly in the UK. By knowing how your tax code is calculated, staying vigilant about any necessary adjustments, and promptly addressing discrepancies, you can maintain control over your financial health and avoid potential complications with HMRC.

What Should You Do If You Have Not Received Your P2 Tax Coding Notice?

Receiving your P2 Tax Coding Notice from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is a crucial event as it details your tax code for the upcoming tax year, affecting how much tax will be deducted from your income. If you do not receive this notice, it could lead to complications in your tax affairs, potentially resulting in incorrect tax deductions. Here's a comprehensive guide on the steps you should take if you find yourself in this situation.

Step 1: Verify Your Details with HMRC

The first step is to ensure that HMRC has your correct and current details. This includes your address, contact information, and employment details. It’s possible that a change in your personal circumstances, such as a recent move or a change in employment, has not been updated in HMRC’s records, leading to your P2 notice being sent to an old address or not being issued.

Action: Log in to your Personal Tax Account (PTA) on the GOV.UK website to check and update your details. This online service allows you to view your tax code, the information HMRC holds on you, and manage your details directly.

Step 2: Contact HMRC Directly

If your details are up-to-date but you still haven’t received your notice, the next step is to contact HMRC directly. You can do this via telephone, through their online web chat service, or by writing to them. When contacting HMRC, have your National Insurance number and any relevant information about your employment or pension provider handy, as this will be required to verify your identity and assist you more efficiently.

Action: Use the contact information provided on the official HMRC website. Ensure you are calling during working hours to avoid long waiting times.

Step 3: Request a Duplicate Notice

If there has been an issue with the delivery of your notice, or if it was never issued, you can request a duplicate. HMRC can send a copy of your P2 Tax Coding Notice through the post, or they may direct you to view it online through your Personal Tax Account.

Action: During your communication with HMRC, specify whether you prefer a digital or physical copy of your tax coding notice.

Step 4: Check for Any Electronic Communications

In some instances, HMRC may opt to communicate changes to your tax code electronically. This is part of an effort to reduce paper usage and make tax management more efficient. Therefore, it’s worthwhile to check your emails, including your spam folder, or your Personal Tax Account for any digital notifications.

Action: Regularly check your email and your Personal Tax Account for any updates from HMRC, especially around the time when new tax codes are typically issued (around January to March).

Step 5: Prepare for Possible Adjustments

Once you receive your P2 Tax Coding Notice, either the original or a duplicate, review it thoroughly. If the tax code is incorrect due to the delayed receipt, you may need to inform your employer or pension provider about the correct code to ensure the right amount of tax is deducted going forward.

Action: Communicate any tax code changes to your employer or pension provider as soon as possible to correct or prevent discrepancies in tax deductions.

Step 6: Keep Records

After resolving issues with your P2 Tax Coding Notice, keep records of all communications with HMRC and any documents they provide. This documentation can be helpful in future tax years or if discrepancies arise later.

Action: Maintain a file with all tax-related documents, including electronic communications, for at least until the end of the tax year in question, if not longer.

Not receiving your P2 Tax Coding Notice can be a source of anxiety and could disrupt your financial planning. By following these steps, you can proactively address the issue, ensuring that your tax affairs are in order and preventing potential overpayments or underpayments of tax. Always keep your contact and personal details updated with HMRC and stay engaged with your tax affairs through regular checks and communications. This proactive approach will help you manage your taxes effectively and avoid unexpected tax bills.

What to Do If You Think HMRC Has Sent You the Wrong Tax Code Through the P2 Tax Coding Notice

Receiving the wrong tax code in your P2 Tax Coding Notice can lead to incorrect tax deductions from your salary or pension. It's important to address this issue promptly to ensure you are taxed correctly. This guide outlines the steps you should take if you suspect that HMRC has assigned you an incorrect tax code for the upcoming tax year.

Step 1: Understand Your Tax Code

Before contacting HMRC, it's crucial to understand why you believe your tax code is incorrect. Your tax code is determined by various factors including your annual income, tax-free allowances, benefits, and any other adjustments like unpaid taxes from previous years.

Action: Review the breakdown of how your tax code was calculated, which is usually detailed in your P2 notice. This will help you identify any specific discrepancies in the calculation.

Step 2: Gather Your Financial Information

To effectively communicate with HMRC, gather all relevant financial information that supports your claim. This includes your previous year's P2 notice, current payslips, details of taxable benefits, and any other income sources.

Action: Organize these documents and have them ready for reference when you contact HMRC to discuss your tax code.

Step 3: Contact HMRC

Once you're prepared, contact HMRC to discuss your tax code. HMRC offers several channels for communication, including phone, online web chat, and a postal address. Explain your concerns clearly and provide evidence if necessary.

Action: Use the contact details provided on the official HMRC website. Keep a record of your conversation and note down any reference numbers provided during the call.

Step 4: Request a Tax Code Review

If after explaining your situation, you still believe your tax code is wrong, you can request a formal review. HMRC will reassess your tax situation and make corrections if they find discrepancies.

Action: During your call or in your written communication, formally request a review of your tax code, specifying the reasons and any evidence you have.

Step 5: Follow Up Regularly

Tax code issues can take some time to resolve, and it may require more than one interaction with HMRC. Keep a close eye on the process and follow up regularly if you do not receive a response within a reasonable timeframe.

Action: Set reminders to follow up with HMRC if you haven't received a reply or an updated tax code notice within a few weeks.

Step 6: Check and Update Your Employer or Pension Provider

Once your tax code is corrected, ensure that your employer or pension provider is updated with the correct information. This is crucial to make sure that the right amount of tax is deducted from your future earnings.

Action: Provide your employer or pension provider with the updated P2 notice or any official communication from HMRC confirming your new tax code.

Step 7: Monitor Your Future Payslips

After your tax code has been corrected, it is important to monitor your future payslips to ensure that the correct tax code is being applied. If discrepancies continue, you may need to contact HMRC again or even seek professional advice.

Action: Regularly check your payslips for a few months following the correction to ensure everything is in order.

Step 8: Consider Professional Advice

If you're finding it difficult to resolve your tax code issue with HMRC, or if your tax situation is particularly complex, consider seeking help from a tax professional. They can offer guidance and intervene on your behalf if necessary.

Action: Look for accredited tax advisors or accountants who specialize in UK tax law and have experience dealing with HMRC.

Dealing with an incorrect tax code can be stressful, but by following these steps, you can ensure that the issue is resolved efficiently. Remember, the key is to act quickly, stay organized, and maintain clear communication with HMRC. By proactively managing your tax affairs, you can avoid potential financial issues and ensure you are paying the correct amount of tax.

A Hypothetical Real-Life Case Study of Someone Dealing with the Wrong Tax Code

Imagine a scenario where Eleanor Briggs, a project manager based in Manchester, receives her P2 Tax Coding Notice for the 2024/25 tax year and discovers an incorrect tax code assigned to her. This case study explores Eleanor's journey from identifying the issue to resolving it with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), detailing every step in a real-life context with actual figures and processes.


Eleanor has been employed at the same company for five years, earning a stable salary of £57,000 annually. Her financial situation includes standard Personal Allowances and no additional income sources like rental income or significant investments. Historically, her tax code has consistently reflected her entitlement to the standard Personal Allowance, which for the tax year 2024/25 is set at £12,570.

Discovery of the Error

Upon receiving her P2 notice via mail, Eleanor noticed that her tax code for the upcoming year was 1150L, instead of the expected 1257L, which would accurately represent her £12,570 allowance. This incorrect tax code suggested that her Personal Allowance was set at £11,500 instead of £12,570, therefore overstating her taxable income by £1,070 for the year, leading to higher tax deductions from her monthly salary.

Step 1: Understanding the Tax Code Error

Eleanor's first step was to understand why the error occurred. She reviewed her previous year’s tax returns, payslips, and the latest P2 notice. She discovered no changes in her income or tax adjustments that would warrant a new code. Confident the code was a mistake, she prepared to contact HMRC.

Step 2: Gathering Documentation

Before contacting HMRC, Eleanor gathered all necessary documentation to support her claim:

  • Last year’s P2 Tax Coding Notice

  • Current and previous year's payslips

  • Identification and National Insurance number

Step 3: Contacting HMRC

Eleanor contacted HMRC using the dedicated helpline for tax code inquiries. After a brief wait, she spoke to a tax officer, explaining her situation and providing her employee details and the incorrect tax code. The officer accessed her records, confirming that an administrative error had occurred during the update of tax code records for the new fiscal year.

Step 4: Correction of the Tax Code

The HMRC officer initiated a correction in their system. Eleanor’s tax code was updated to 1257L, reflecting her correct Personal Allowance. She was informed that the new tax code would be communicated to her employer within the next two weeks, ensuring that her payroll deductions from the next salary would be accurate.

Step 5: Confirmation and Monitoring

Within a week, Eleanor received a revised P2 Tax Coding Notice, and she verified the tax code change with her payroll department. She continued to monitor her payslips over the following months to ensure the correct tax code was being applied, confirming that the issue was fully resolved.

This hypothetical case study illustrates the steps an individual might take upon discovering an incorrect tax code on their P2 notice. It highlights the importance of understanding tax codes, the readiness to provide necessary documentation, and the effectiveness of clear communication with HMRC. By systematically addressing the issue, Eleanor ensured that her tax obligations were correctly met without overpaying due to an administrative error.


This scenario serves as a crucial reminder for all taxpayers to diligently review their tax codes upon receipt of their P2 Tax Coding Notices. It underscores the role of personal vigilance and proactive engagement with tax authorities to rectify discrepancies, ensuring financial accuracy in tax deductions. Such vigilance not only prevents potential financial inconvenience but also fosters a more transparent interaction between taxpayers and the tax authorities.

How Can a Personal Accountant Help You with Tax Notices in the UK

How Can a Personal Accountant Help You with Tax Notices in the UK?

In the complex landscape of UK tax regulations, receiving a tax notice can often be daunting. Whether it's a P2 Tax Coding Notice, a demand for payment, or an inquiry about discrepancies in your tax return, handling these matters correctly is crucial. This is where a personal accountant can be invaluable. They not only provide expertise in tax law and accounting but also offer strategic advice tailored to your specific financial circumstances. Here's an in-depth look at how a personal accountant can assist you with various tax notices in the UK.

Understanding Tax Notices

Tax notices come in various forms, each requiring a specific response. Common types include:

  • P2 Tax Coding Notices - Detail your tax code for the upcoming year.

  • HMRC Inquiry Letters - Request additional information about discrepancies in your tax return.

  • Payment Demands - Inform you of due taxes.

  • Penalty Notices - Issued for late submissions or payments.

A personal accountant ensures you understand the content and implications of each notice, which is the first step towards effective management of your tax affairs.

Expert Analysis and Response

One of the primary benefits of having a personal accountant is their ability to analyze and respond to tax notices accurately:

  • Decoding Tax Codes: Accountants can decode your tax code to ensure it accurately reflects your personal allowances, deductions, and any other factors that might affect your tax liability.

  • Handling Inquiries: If HMRC has questions about your tax return, an accountant can help you gather the required information, craft responses that are accurate and legally sound, and submit them within deadlines.

  • Addressing Payment Demands: They can verify whether the amount demanded by HMRC is correct and advise you on how to proceed if there are discrepancies.

Proactive Tax Planning

A personal accountant does more than just react to tax notices; they engage in proactive tax planning:

  • Forecasting and Adjustments: They forecast your tax liabilities based on your current financial status and anticipated changes, making adjustments to preempt discrepancies that might otherwise trigger future tax notices.

  • Tax-Saving Strategies: Accountants develop strategies to minimize your tax liability legally, including advising on tax relief opportunities, efficient asset allocation, and investment planning.

Navigating Complex Situations

Tax regulations can be intricate, especially if you have multiple income streams, are self-employed, or own a business. A personal accountant navigates these complexities by:

  • Managing Multiple Income Streams: Ensuring all sources of income are correctly reported and taxed appropriately.

  • Business and Self-Employment: Advising on business expenses, capital allowances, and structuring your business for tax efficiency.

  • International Tax Issues: Handling overseas income, foreign tax credits, and residency issues that affect your tax status.

Record Keeping and Compliance

Maintaining accurate and comprehensive financial records is critical for responding to any tax notice effectively. Accountants ensure:

  • Impeccable Record Keeping: They maintain detailed records of your income, expenses, and tax payments, which are essential for substantiating entries on your tax return.

  • Compliance Assurance: Ensuring that you comply with all HMRC requirements, thereby reducing the likelihood of receiving fines or additional inquiries.

Dispute Resolution and Representation

If you disagree with a tax notice, an accountant can represent you in disputes with HMRC:

  • Dispute Management: They can help you understand the grounds of any tax decision, advise on the viability of an appeal, and represent you during the dispute process.

  • Liaison with HMRC: Acting as your representative in dealings with HMRC, which can alleviate stress and lead to more favorable outcomes.

Educational Resource

Beyond handling specific tax notices, accountants educate you on tax matters, empowering you with knowledge to make informed financial decisions:

  • Regular Updates: Keeping you informed about the latest tax laws and how they affect your personal and business finances.

  • Training on Financial Management: Offering advice on budgeting, financial planning, and risk management.

The role of a personal accountant in managing tax notices extends beyond mere compliance. They provide a comprehensive service that includes education, strategic planning, compliance assurance, and, when necessary, dispute resolution. With their expertise, you not only respond effectively to tax notices but also optimize your financial strategy to prevent future issues. Whether you are an individual with straightforward tax needs or a business owner facing complex tax challenges, a personal accountant is a pivotal resource in navigating the UK's tax system efficiently and effectively.


1. Q: How often does HMRC review and update individual tax codes?

A: HMRC reviews tax codes before the start of each tax year and may update them throughout the year as they receive new information affecting your tax situation, such as changes in income or benefits.

2. Q: What should I do if I have not received my P2 Tax Coding Notice?

A: If you haven't received your P2 notice and you expect changes in your tax code or have had changes in your income, contact HMRC directly to inquire about the status of your notice.

3. Q: Can errors on a previous year's P2 notice affect my current tax code?

A: Yes, errors in previous years' tax calculations can carry forward, affecting your current tax code, especially if there were underpayments or overpayments that need to be rectified.

4. Q: How do I understand the different tax codes on multiple P2 notices if I have more than one job?

A: Each job will have its own tax code reflecting that specific income. If you have multiple employments, it’s important to ensure each tax code is correct for each job to avoid overpaying or underpaying tax.

5. Q: What is the deadline for correcting a tax code error with HMRC?

A: There is no specific deadline for correcting tax code errors, but it is advisable to contact HMRC as soon as you notice an error to prevent discrepancies in your tax payments.

6. Q: How can changes in marital status affect my P2 Tax Coding Notice?

A: Changes in marital status can affect your tax allowances, especially if you transfer a portion of your personal allowance to your spouse or civil partner, impacting the tax code reflected on your P2 notice.

7. Q: What happens if I don't inform HMRC about changes affecting my tax code?

A: Failing to inform HMRC about significant changes can lead to incorrect tax deductions, resulting in underpayments or overpayments of tax, which would need to be settled later.

8. Q: Are there specific guidelines for expatriates receiving a P2 notice?

A: Expatriates might have different tax considerations, especially if they receive income both in the UK and abroad, and should consult specific guidance or a tax advisor to ensure their tax code is accurate.

9. Q: How does HMRC calculate the tax-free personal allowance included in my tax code?

A: The tax-free personal allowance is calculated based on your annual income and can be adjusted based on other income sources, benefits, or deductions you may have.

10. Q: Can I appeal a decision made by HMRC regarding my tax code?

A: Yes, if you disagree with HMRC's calculation of your tax code, you can appeal their decision by providing supporting documents and explaining your reasoning for the discrepancy.

11. Q: What is the process for updating my tax code if I start or stop receiving company benefits?

A: Notify HMRC immediately if you start or stop receiving company benefits, as this will affect your tax code. HMRC will then issue a new P2 notice reflecting these changes.

12. Q: How do I check the accuracy of the tax deductions on my payslip against my P2 notice?

A: Compare the tax code and deductions listed on your payslip with those on your P2 notice to ensure they match. Discrepancies should be reported to your payroll department and HMRC.

13. Q: What documentation should I keep to support the information on my P2 notice?

A: Keep records of all your income statements, benefits documentation, and any correspondence with HMRC regarding your tax code as evidence of your financial history and interactions.

14. Q: How can I verify the calculations of unpaid tax reflected in my tax code?

A: Review the detailed calculation on your P2 notice and consult with a tax professional if necessary to ensure that the amount of unpaid tax and its impact on your tax-free allowance is calculated correctly.

15. Q: What should I do if I receive a P2 notice with an emergency tax code?

A: Contact HMRC to update your tax records and provide them with the necessary information to issue a correct, non-emergency tax code.

16. Q: How do second pensions affect my P2 Tax Coding Notice?

A: If you receive income from a second pension, it may have a different tax code, particularly if your total income exceeds the basic personal allowance. Ensure both are correctly calculated to avoid underpayments.

17. Q: What are the consequences of ignoring issues with my P2 notice?

A: Ignoring issues can lead to financial discrepancies, such as owing significant amounts of tax or facing legal penalties for non-compliance with tax obligations.

18. Q: How does maternity leave affect my P2 Tax CodingNotice?

A: Maternity leave might change your tax code if your income changes significantly. HMRC should adjust your code to reflect your reduced income during this period, ensuring correct tax deductions.

19. Q: Can a change in my tax code affect my student loan repayments?

A: Yes, a change in your tax code can affect student loan repayments as they are calculated based on your taxable income. An incorrect tax code could result in incorrect repayment amounts being deducted.

20. Q: What should I do if my P2 notice reflects an old address or incorrect personal details?

A: Update your address or personal details through your Personal Tax Account (PTA) or by contacting HMRC directly to ensure that all future communications and notices are correctly directed to you.

27 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All


bottom of page