top of page
  • Writer's pictureMAZ

What is HMRC NRLQ Form in the UK?


Understanding the intricacies of the HMRC Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS) and its associated forms, particularly the NRLQ Form, is crucial for UK taxpayers, especially those involved in real estate. This article, the first in a series of three, aims to provide comprehensive insights into the HMRC NRLQ Form in the UK, a topic of significant relevance for landlords, tenants, and tax professionals.

The NRLQ form in the UK is a crucial document for the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS). It is used by tenants or letting agents to report and pay basic rate tax to HMRC on rent paid to non-resident landlords. This quarterly return form outlines the total tax due for each period and must be submitted within 30 days after the end of each quarter. The form ensures compliance with tax obligations for rental income earned by landlords who reside outside the UK.


What is HMRC NRLQ Form in the UK

Understanding Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS)

The NRLS was introduced in 1996 to ensure UK income tax is effectively collected on rental incomes from UK-based properties owned by landlords residing outside the UK for more than six months in a year. This scheme encompasses various stakeholders, including landlords (individuals, companies, trustees, or partnerships), tenants, tenant finders, and letting agents, all of whom must adhere to specific tax rules under the NRLS.


Criteria for Non-Resident Landlords

A non-resident landlord, as defined by HMRC, is an individual or entity that earns rental income from properties in the UK while their primary residence, or "usual place of abode," is outside the UK. HMRC typically considers a six-month absence from the UK indicative of non-residency. It is important to note that one could be a UK tax resident yet still be recognized as a non-resident landlord under this scheme.


NRLQ Form: Quarterly Returns for Non-Resident Landlords

The NRLQ Form plays a pivotal role in the NRLS. It is utilized for submitting quarterly tax returns on behalf of non-resident landlords. This form ensures that any tax due is paid to HMRC each quarter. The four quarters cover periods from April to June, July to September, October to December, and January to March. The return form must be submitted within 30 days after the end of each quarter.


Responsibilities of Tenants under NRLS

Tenants who rent from non-resident landlords have specific obligations under the NRLS. If a tenant's average weekly rent exceeds £100, they must register with HMRC for the NRLS. They are then responsible for calculating and paying tax to HMRC within 30 days of the end of each quarter using the NRLQ Form. Additionally, tenants are required to send an annual report to HMRC and the landlord by July 5th using form NRLY and must also provide the landlord with a certificate NRL6 annually.

Tax Calculation and Payment

Tenants or letting agents must withhold tax at the basic rate (currently 20%) on rent paid in the relevant quarter. This withholding includes payments made to third parties that are not deductible expenses for calculating rental profits. The withheld tax is then paid to HMRC every three months, and no deductions are available for expenses paid by the landlord themselves.


Letting Agents' Role

Letting agents representing non-resident landlords must adhere to NRLS requirements, including registering with HMRC, accounting for tax quarterly, sending annual returns, and providing certificates to the landlord. They are responsible for deducting tax at source unless authorized by HMRC to pay rent without deductions when the landlord applies to receive rent gross.


The NRLQ Form and its Application

In the realm of UK tax obligations, particularly for non-resident landlords, the NRLQ Form is a pivotal document. As part of the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS), this form is used for submitting quarterly tax returns on behalf of non-resident landlords. Ensuring that the tax due on rental incomes is paid correctly and timely to HMRC is a critical responsibility for those involved in managing properties owned by non-resident landlords.

The Role of NRLQ Form in Tax Compliance

The NRLQ Form is instrumental in the process of withholding and remitting income tax from the rental payments due to non-resident landlords. Tenants or letting agents are legally obligated to deduct tax at the basic rate (currently 20%) from these payments and submit the tax to HMRC every quarter. The NRLQ Form, therefore, serves as the primary document for reporting and paying this tax within 30 days after the end of each quarter​​.


Criteria for NRLQ Form Submission

The NRLQ Form must be used by tenants or letting agents in circumstances where the rent paid to a non-resident landlord exceeds £100 per week. In such cases, the NRLQ Form is filled out with the total amount of tax due for all non-resident landlords for that quarter. However, if no tax is due for a particular quarter and no notice to complete a quarterly return is received from HMRC, the letting agent is not required to complete the NRLQ Form.


Annual Reporting and Certificate Issuance

Alongside the quarterly submissions, there are annual reporting requirements under the NRLS. By July 5th each year, tenants or letting agents must send a report to HMRC and the landlord using form NRLY. Additionally, a certificate (NRL6) disclosing the amount of tax deducted must be issued to the landlord annually.


Non-Resident Landlords' Tax Obligations

Non-resident landlords have specific tax obligations under the NRLS. They are required to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return for each tax year if they receive income from renting out a UK property. This process involves settling any tax due or reclaiming overpaid tax. The personal allowance, which is £12,570 for the tax year 2022/23, applies to non-resident landlords, meaning that no tax is payable until the taxable income exceeds this threshold.


Tax Rates and Reporting Requirements

The rental income received by non-resident landlords is subject to standard UK income tax rules. This includes various tax bands, with income over £2,500 needing to be reported to HMRC if no property expenses are claimed. Property expenses that can be claimed against rental income include agent fees, maintenance, solicitors’ fees, insurance, and more. The tax rates for rental income vary based on the income bracket.


Compliance and Obligations Under the NRLS

The final part of our comprehensive guide focuses on the compliance and obligations under the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS), particularly concerning the HMRC NRLQ Form in the UK. This segment is crucial for non-resident landlords, tenants, and letting agents to ensure adherence to the legal requirements of the scheme.


Record Keeping and Compliance Checks

Record keeping is a fundamental aspect of the NRLS. Tenants and letting agents must maintain accurate records of rental income received or paid, including dates and amounts, and any correspondence with landlords regarding their residence status. If they are not authorized to pay rental income without tax deduction, they must also keep records of expenses paid, along with invoices and receipts.


Failure to maintain proper records or to make them available for inspection can result in penalties. The records are essential for HMRC's compliance checks and to ensure that parties meet their obligations under the NRLS.

Tenant and Letting Agent Obligations

Tenants who pay more than £5,200 per year in rent to a non-resident landlord must operate the NRLS. They must inform HMRC, send quarterly payments for any tax due, provide annual certificates to their landlords, complete an annual information return, and keep records to demonstrate compliance with the NRLS requirements.


Letting agents have similar obligations. They must register with HMRC, account for the tax quarterly, send annual returns, and provide certificates to the landlord. Additionally, they must comply with specific requirements if they are authorized to pay rent without tax deductions.

Tax Calculation and Payment

Tax under the NRLS must be calculated at the basic rate on rental income paid in the quarter to the landlord, plus any payments to third parties not classified as deductible expenses. The tax must be paid to HMRC within 30 days of the end of each quarter using the NRLQ form. If no payment is due for a quarter, a return is only needed if HMRC requests it.


Non-Resident Landlords' Tax Filing and Deadlines

Non-resident landlords must file an annual UK Tax Return and settle their tax liability by January 31st following the end of the tax year. This requirement applies whether or not tax is owed.


Rental income received by non-resident landlords is considered UK income and is subject to standard UK income tax rules. The first £1,000 of income from property rental is tax-free if no expenses are claimed against the property. If the taxable income after deductions is over £12,570, it will be subject to tax at standard UK income tax bands.


Engaging a Tax Specialist

Given the complexities of the NRLS, it is advisable for non-resident landlords to engage a UK tax specialist to assist with tax filing and clarify responsibilities. This specialist can help ensure the correct taxes are paid and help avoid any unnecessary fines.


Navigating the NRLS and the HMRC NRLQ Form requires a thorough understanding of the scheme's requirements. Non-resident landlords, tenants, and letting agents must be diligent in their record-keeping, tax calculations, and filings to remain compliant. With this comprehensive guide, stakeholders in the UK property market can better understand their obligations under the NRLS and ensure they adhere to the legal requirements, thus avoiding potential penalties and ensuring tax compliance.

All the HMRC Forms You May Need For Quarterly Returns for Non-Resident Landlords

Non-resident landlords in the UK have specific tax obligations that necessitate the use of various HMRC forms for quarterly returns. This guide provides an overview of all the essential forms that non-resident landlords, or their agents, may need to stay compliant with the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) requirements.

NRL1: Application for Non-Resident Landlords

The NRL1 form is essential for individual landlords living outside the UK. By completing this form, landlords can apply to receive their UK rental income without the deduction of UK tax at source. Approval through this form allows landlords to settle their tax liabilities through the self-assessment process.

NRL2: Application for Non-Resident Companies

Similar to the NRL1, the NRL2 form is for non-resident companies that earn rental income from properties in the UK. Completion and approval of this form allow companies to receive rental income gross and manage their tax liabilities via corporate tax processes.

NRL3: Application for Non-Resident Trustees

The NRL3 form is designed for trusts and estates with UK rental income. It enables non-resident trustees to apply for receiving rental income without immediate tax deductions, allowing them to handle their tax obligations independently.

NRL4: Registration by Letting Agents

Letting agents managing properties on behalf of non-resident landlords must complete the NRL4 form to register for the NRLS. This registration is a crucial step in ensuring the agents fulfill their responsibilities, including withholding and paying tax.

NRL5: Letting Agents Operating Scheme Through Branches

For letting agents operating through multiple branches, the NRL5 form is necessary. It allows each branch to be registered separately under the NRLS, facilitating better management and reporting of tax obligations for non-resident landlords.

NRL6: Certificate of Tax Liability

The NRL6 form is a certificate provided to non-resident landlords by their letting agents or tenants. It details the tax deducted from rental income and is essential for landlords to claim relief or adjustments during their tax return submissions.

NRLQ: Quarterly Return Form

The NRLQ form is central to the NRLS, used by tenants or letting agents to report and pay tax on the rental income paid to non-resident landlords. It outlines the total amount of tax due for each quarter and must be submitted to HMRC within 30 days after the quarter ends.

NRLY: Annual Information Return

The NRLY form is an annual summary return that provides HMRC with a comprehensive overview of the rental income paid and tax deducted for each non-resident landlord represented by a letting agent or tenant. It helps in maintaining transparency and compliance with HMRC.

SA105: UK Property Supplement

Non-resident landlords who opt to file Self-Assessment tax returns should use the SA105 form. This supplement to the main tax return details UK property income and allowable deductions, helping landlords accurately report their rental earnings and expenses.

SA109: Non-Resident Pages

The SA109 form is an essential addition to the Self-Assessment tax return for landlords with non-resident status. It helps declare their residency status and ensures that they are taxed appropriately on their UK income.

CT600: Corporation Tax Return

For non-resident companies, the CT600 form is required to report profits, including rental income from UK properties. This form is critical for companies to comply with their corporate tax liabilities in the UK.

HMRC Agent Authorisation

While not a specific form, non-resident landlords may need to complete an agent authorization process with HMRC. This allows tax agents or accountants to handle tax affairs, including form submissions, on behalf of the landlord.

Navigating the NRLS involves managing a variety of HMRC forms, each serving a specific purpose in the process of reporting and paying tax on rental income for non-resident landlords. Understanding these forms is critical for maintaining compliance with UK tax laws. Non-resident landlords, often with the help of tax professionals or letting agents, must ensure that these forms are accurately completed and timely submitted to avoid penalties and ensure proper tax handling of their UK property income.

The Difference Between NRLQ and NRLY Forms

The NRLQ and NRLY forms are both integral to the UK's Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS), but they serve different purposes:

NRLQ Form:

  • The NRLQ (Non-Resident Landlords Quarterly Return) form is used for quarterly tax reporting.

  • It is submitted by tenants or letting agents who pay rent directly to non-resident landlords.

  • The form is used to report and remit the basic rate tax deducted from the rental income before it is paid to the non-resident landlord.

  • It must be submitted to HMRC within 30 days after the end of each quarter (ending on 30th June, 30th September, 31st December, and 31st March).

NRLY Form:

  • The NRLY (Non-Resident Landlords Annual Information Return) form, on the other hand, is an annual summary.

  • This form is also filled out by tenants or letting agents and is used to provide HMRC with a yearly overview of the rental income paid and tax deducted for each non-resident landlord they represent.

  • It serves as an annual reconciliation to ensure that the correct amount of tax has been withheld and paid throughout the year.

  • The NRLY form must be submitted by 5th July each year, covering the previous tax year.

In summary, while the NRLQ form focuses on the quarterly tax deductions and payments for non-resident landlords, the NRLY form provides an annual summary of these transactions for HMRC's records.


How a Landlord Tax Accountant Can Help You With Quarterly Returns for Non-Resident Landlords

How a Landlord Tax Accountant Can Help You With Quarterly Returns for Non-Resident Landlords

For non-resident landlords in the UK, navigating the complexities of tax obligations, especially quarterly returns, can be daunting. A landlord tax accountant plays a crucial role in this scenario, offering expertise and guidance to ensure compliance with the HMRC’s Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS). This article delves into the ways in which a landlord tax accountant can assist non-resident landlords in managing their quarterly tax returns effectively.


Understanding the Non-Resident Landlord Scheme (NRLS)

The NRLS requires that tax be deducted at the basic rate from the rental income of non-resident landlords and paid to HMRC quarterly. This process involves submitting the NRLQ form within 30 days after the end of each quarter. The complexity of these requirements can be overwhelming for landlords, especially those unfamiliar with the UK tax system.


Expertise in Tax Legislation

A landlord tax accountant has in-depth knowledge of the UK tax laws, including the latest changes and updates. They can offer expert advice on the NRLS, ensuring that landlords understand their tax liabilities and entitlements. This expertise is vital in avoiding costly mistakes and ensuring that all tax deductions and allowances are correctly applied.


Accurate Calculation of Tax Liability

Calculating the correct amount of tax to be deducted can be challenging, especially considering the various allowable expenses and deductions. A landlord tax accountant ensures accurate calculations, taking into account all the relevant factors, such as property expenses, maintenance costs, and any other allowable deductions, to determine the accurate tax liability.


Timely Submission of NRLQ Forms

Meeting the deadline for submitting NRLQ forms is crucial to avoid penalties. A landlord tax accountant ensures that all the necessary documentation is prepared and submitted on time. Their understanding of the process and attention to detail means they can efficiently handle the paperwork, providing landlords with peace of mind.


Assistance with Record Keeping

Maintaining proper records is a key requirement of the NRLS. A landlord tax accountant can help in organizing and keeping track of rental income, expenses, and other necessary documents. This organized record-keeping is essential not only for NRLS compliance but also for future reference and potential audits by HMRC.


Handling HMRC Communications

Dealing with HMRC can be intimidating for non-resident landlords. A tax accountant acts as a liaison between the landlord and HMRC, handling all communications and queries. This includes responding to HMRC’s requests for additional information and representing the landlord in any discussions or negotiations.


Offering Tailored Tax Planning Advice

Each landlord's situation is unique, and a one-size-fits-all approach does not work in tax planning. A landlord tax accountant provides customized advice, taking into account the landlord’s specific circumstances, including their residency status, rental income, and long-term financial goals. This tailored advice can lead to significant tax savings and optimized financial planning.


Assistance with Tax Appeals and Disputes

In case of any disputes or disagreements with HMRC regarding the tax returns, a landlord tax accountant can provide invaluable support. They can assist in preparing and filing appeals, and represent the landlord in any tribunal hearings, ensuring their case is presented effectively.


Keeping Landlords Informed

The tax landscape is constantly evolving, and keeping abreast of the changes is crucial. A landlord tax accountant keeps landlords updated on any changes in tax legislation that may affect them, ensuring they remain compliant and take advantage of any new tax reliefs or deductions.


Ensuring Compliance and Peace of Mind

Perhaps the most significant benefit of hiring a landlord tax accountant is the assurance that all tax affairs are in compliance with HMRC requirements. This peace of mind allows landlords to focus on other aspects of their property business, knowing their tax obligations are being handled professionally.


In summary, a landlord tax accountant is an invaluable asset for non-resident landlords in the UK. Their expertise and services not only ensure compliance with the NRLS but also offer strategic advice for effective tax planning. By partnering with a skilled tax accountant, non-resident landlords can navigate the complexities of the UK tax system efficiently, ensuring their investments remain profitable and compliant.


FAQs about HMRC NRLQ Form


Q1: What specific details must be included in the NRLQ form?

A: The NRLQ form requires details of the rent collected during the quarter, the amount of tax deducted, and the landlord's information. It also needs the period for which the return is made and the total tax liability for all non-resident landlords represented.

Q2: Can NRLQ forms be submitted electronically to HMRC?

A: Yes, NRLQ forms can be submitted electronically. This can be done through HMRC's online services, providing a more efficient and timely submission process.

Q3: Are there different versions of the NRLQ form for individual landlords versus corporate landlords?

A: No, the NRLQ form is a standard form used for both individual and corporate non-resident landlords. The form is designed to cater to all categories of non-resident landlords.

Q4: How are errors in a submitted NRLQ form rectified?

A: To rectify errors in a submitted NRLQ form, you should contact HMRC as soon as possible. They will guide you on the process to amend the information, which may involve submitting a corrected form.

Q5: Is there a deadline for submitting the NRLQ form?

A: Yes, the NRLQ form must be submitted within 30 days after the end of each quarter. The quarters end on 30th June, 30th September, 31st December, and 31st March.

Q6: Are there penalties for late submission of the NRLQ form?

A: Yes, failing to submit the NRLQ form on time can result in penalties. The exact amount may vary based on the delay and circumstances.

Q7: Can a tenant refuse to deduct tax and complete the NRLQ form?

A: No, if a tenant is paying rent to a non-resident landlord and the conditions of the NRLS apply, they are legally required to deduct tax and complete the NRLQ form.

Q8: What if the non-resident landlord’s tax status changes mid-quarter?

A: If a non-resident landlord’s tax status changes mid-quarter, it is important to inform HMRC and adjust the NRLQ form submissions accordingly.

Q9: Are there exemptions from filing the NRLQ form?

A: Yes, if the non-resident landlord is approved by HMRC to receive rental income without tax deductions, the NRLQ form may not be required.

Q10: How does a non-resident landlord apply for exemption from tax withholding?

A: A non-resident landlord can apply for an exemption from tax withholding by submitting the appropriate NRL form (NRL1, NRL2, or NRL3) to HMRC.

Q11: What happens if a tenant incorrectly calculates the tax on the NRLQ form?

A: If a tenant incorrectly calculates the tax on the NRLQ form, they should notify HMRC and make the necessary corrections. Failure to do so may lead to penalties.

Q12: Can a non-resident landlord request a review of the NRLQ form submissions?

A: Yes, a non-resident landlord can request a review of the NRLQ form submissions if they believe there has been an error or misunderstanding.

Q13: Is professional assistance required to complete the NRLQ form?

A: While professional assistance is not mandatory, it is advisable, especially for complex cases or where large amounts of rent and tax are involved.

Q14: Are NRLQ forms subject to audits by HMRC?

A: Yes, NRLQ forms, like other tax documents, can be subject to audits by HMRC to ensure compliance with tax laws.

Q15: How long must records related to NRLQ forms be retained?

A: Records related to NRLQ forms should be kept for at least six years, as they may be needed for future reference or audits.

Q16: What information do tenants need to provide on the NRLQ form?

A: Tenants need to provide details of the rent paid, tax withheld, landlord's details, and the period covered by the return.

Q17: How is the tax rate determined for the NRLQ form?

A: The tax rate for the NRLQ form is determined by the basic rate of income tax, currently set at 20%.

Q18: Can changes in rental income affect the NRLQ form submission?

A: Yes, changes in rental income can affect the NRLQ form submission, especially if it alters the tax liability.

Q19: What should be done if a non-resident landlord becomes a UK resident?

A: If a non-resident landlord becomes a UK resident, they should inform HMRC, and the requirement to complete NRLQ forms will cease.

Q20: Can a non-resident landlord file the NRLQ form themselves?

A: Generally, it is the responsibility of the tenant or letting agent to file the NRLQ form. However, landlords should ensure compliance and may need to be involved in certain circumstances.



85 views0 comments


bottom of page